Judge Paul Grant is currently a member of the Aboriginal Justice Forum.
This webinar was held on 19 March 2013.
Over the past four years the Victorian child protection system has been extensively reviewed, and the role of the Children's Court in the system has been discussed by both the Victorian Law Reform Commission and the Protecting Victoria's Vulnerable Children Inquiry. Both endorsed the continuing involvement of the Court in "determining the lawfulness of state intervention in child protection matters" whilst proposing reforms to Court process.
In this webinar, Judge Paul Grant discussed:
- Child protection applications in the Children's Court of Victoria;
- The impact on the Court of increasing numbers of child protection and family violence cases;
- The over-representation of child protection clients in the Court's Criminal Division;
- Reforms introduced by the Children's Court in dealing with child protection cases; and
- Reforms anticipated to come out of the Protecting Victoria's Vulnerable Children Inquiry.