Associate Professor Daryl Higgins was the Deputy Director (Research) at the Australian Institute of Family Studies, where he had responsibility for the Institute's research program and its knowledge translation and exchange functions.
This webinar was held on 15 September 2016.
A full recording of this webinar is available on our YouTube Channel.
The audio, transcript and presentation slides are available under Event Resources on this page.
The following key strategies for keeping children safe were discussed:
- pre-employment screening;
- ongoing suitability assessment;
- limiting opportunities by identifying and addressing situational risks;
- developing policies and procedures for identifying signs of abuse and responsibility for responding to disclosures;
- providing training and ongoing support for staff; and
- implementing sexual abuse-specific prevention and education programs.
Key issues and challenges for policy and practice, and the research implications of the gaps in our knowledge, were also covered.
The webinar was particularly relevant for out-of-home care services, and all child-serving organisations including schools, early childhood education and care, youth-serving organisations and religious organisations.
Please take a moment to read our Webinar Frequently Asked Questions.