FAQ: Frequently asked questions


Finding facts and figures

I'm looking for statistics on:

For statistics on other areas please visit the Topics page

I'm looking for information on:

Where can I find out about pre-employment screening / police checks / Working with Children Checks?

CFCA exchange provides a Pre-employment Screening fact sheet that outlines: the relevant legislation in each Australian state and territory; type of information considered; child-related settings subject to screening regulations; different requirements of each jurisdiction; relevant contact details.

I am trying to find out the status of my application for a Working with Children Check/Police Check.

You will need to contact the relevant organisation that is responsible for processing your application. Details can be found in CFCA's Pre-employment Screening fact sheet.

Can a Working with Children Check/Police Check be transferred to other states/territories in Australia?

There is no single national framework setting out the requirements for obtaining Working With Children Checks or Police Checks. Each state and territory has their own procedures and it is necessary to fulfil the requirements in the jurisdiction(s) in which you are working. However, under the National Framework for Protecting Australia's Children, a nationally consistent approach is being progressed.

Responding to child and family matters

I have a reasonable belief that a child is being abused / neglected, what should I do?

Anyone who suspects, on reasonable grounds, that a child or young person is at risk of or is experiencing neglect or physical, sexual or emotional abuse should report it to the authority in their state or territory. Please note that you do not need to be absolutely certain that abuse or neglect of a child has occurred to call these authorities. If you suspect a child is at risk of maltreatment, you may call the authority to discuss your concerns and they will decide whether an investigation is required.

The Reporting Abuse and Neglect fact sheet provides information about how to report suspected child abuse or neglect.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, please call Police on 000 without delay.

Responding to Children and Young People's Disclosures of Abuse contains information that will help family, friends, other adults and professionals to respond to a child's disclosure of abuse.

Information on online safety

Information related to images of children and young people online

I am dissatisfied with the response / actions of a child protection department, what should I do?

Each state/territory office that is responsible for child protection has a complaints department, and this is the best place to start. You can find out more by using the contact details on the Reporting Abuse and Neglect fact sheet

If you are not satisfied with the response that you receive, you can contact the Ombudsman's office in your state or territory.

I am dissatisfied with the response / actions of the family law court, what should I do?

Information on making a complaint regarding family law matters can be found at the Family Law Courts' complaints and feedback page.

I need some help with family / parenting issues.

A list of helplines and telephone counselling services can be found on the Helplines and Telephone Counselling Services for Children, Young People and Parents fact sheet.

Publications and related literature

Could I have a hard copy of a CFCA exchange publication?

The CFCA information exchange produces a number of publications and short articles that are published electronically and are free to access. We no longer provide hard copies of our publications.

Could I have a copy of a report / journal article that is mentioned in one of your publications or on your webpages?

Due to copyright laws we are unable to provide copies of requested articles in most instances.

If you work for a not-for-profit, non-government service you may be eligible to be a CFCA library member. Library membership is free and entitles you to:

  • borrow books, reports and audiovisual materials from the Institute's library collection; and
  • have up to 25 articles photocopied per year from journals held by the AIFS library.

Join our NGO Library Membership Scheme.

Can I reproduce all / part of one of your publications?

See Copyright and Contributions (AIFS website).

Can I submit an article or publication to CFCA?

See our author guidelines for short articles.

I am seeking information on a specific topic, can you help?

The following areas of the site may be useful

Publications by topic

CFCA exchange publications are sorted by topic.


If you are unable to find a relevant CFCA exchange publication, we also provide real-time bibliographies on a range of related topics. Find the most relevant topic on our publications by topics page. If you scroll to the bottom of these pages, the bibliographies can be found under the heading you may be interested in.

CFCA News & Discussion

Here you can engage in discussions with your peers, find and contribute short articles on current issues, read summaries of important research and reports, and discover what's new in the field. CFCA short articles and news are sorted by topic, which can be found in the right-hand margin.

I have found some information that may be useful for updating CFCA exchange content / publications.

The CFCA exchange is committed to providing accessible, up-to-date information for our users. If you have information that you think may be useful for updating our work, please subscribe to CFCA news for submission details.


Can you include my program / service / training / conference / evaluation on your website?

If you have any information or resources that may be relevant to our key sectors (child, family and community welfare), please subscribe to CFCA news for submission details.

Where can I find a list of upcoming conferences?

Our forthcoming conference listing includes forthcoming events focusing on family research, policy and related areas.

If you would like your conference added to our website, please subscribe to CFCA news for submission details.

Where can I find a list of training organisations?

For an up-to-date and detailed calendar of professional development and training events, visit the Family Relationship Service Australia training page.

The answer to my question is not on this page

CFCA offers a free research and information helpdesk for child, family and community welfare practitioners, service providers, researchers and policy makers through our CFCA news. Subscribe to CFCA news.

Need some help?

CFCA offers a free research and information helpdesk for child, family and community welfare practitioners, service providers, researchers and policy makers through the CFCA News.