Working with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) adolescents
Directory of key contacts for practitioners working with CALD adolescents
This directory presents a summary of organisations and peak bodies across the nation that support professionals working with culturally and linguistically diverse communities. CFCA recognises that there is a multitude of programs and projects that support CALD children, young people, families and communities as a whole, across different sectors.
The work of some of the organisations or agencies below, as well as many other contributors to research, advocacy and community development can be found throughout this resource. Workers are encouraged to share related information, data and resources through the CFCA information exchange , or by providing feedback through CFCA's research and information helpdesk.
- Australian Multicultural Foundation (AMF)
- AMF initiates programs and projects that raise awareness of Australia's cultural diversity, to advance its social and economic wellbeing.
- Federation of Ethnic Communities' Council of Australia (FECCA)
- FECCA is the national peak body representing and advocating for culturally and linguistically diverse communities. One of its online resources includes a community perspective on pressing issues affecting new and emerging communities in Australia.
- Raising Children Network
- This page provides links to a range of national and state resources, services and support organisations for multicultural and CALD communities.
- Association for Services to Torture and Trauma Survivors (ASeTTS)
- ASeTTS provides services to people who are humanitarian entrants or are from a refugee background and who have experienced torture or trauma in their country of origin, during their flight to Australia, or while in detention.
- Multicultural Youth Services ACT (MYS)
- MYS provides services to young people of migrant and refugee backgrounds in the ACT, including direct one-to-one support, group sessions, life skills development, family relationship support, recreational activities and community development with young people.
- Multicultural Youth Affairs Network
- This service seeks to improve supports for multicultural young people, strengthen local multicultural youth services, strengthen connections between "mainstream" and multicultural youth services, and raise the profile of multicultural youth issues in the ACT.
- Companion House
- Companion House is a not-for-profit organisation that works with people who have sought refuge in Australia from persecution, torture and war-related trauma. In addition to community development and therapeutic services, they provide training and professional development sessions focused on refugee issues, working with survivors of torture and trauma and cultural diversity.
- Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network NSW (MYAN NSW)
- MYAN is a network of services committed to improving the opportunities and outcomes for multicultural young people in NSW.
- Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association of NSW (MDAA)
- MDAA is the peak organisation for people from CALD/non-English speaking backgrounds (NESB) with a disability, their families and carers in NSW.
- NSW Service for the Treatment And Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors (STARTTS)
- STARTTS provides treatment and rehabilitation to torture and trauma survivors through a range of services .supporting individuals and communities to empower themselves to heal.
- Youth Action (Formerly Youth Action & Policy Association NSW; YAPA)
- Youth Action is the peak organisation representing young people and youth services in NSW.
- Ethnic Communities Council of NSW (ECC)
- ECC is the peak body for all culturally and linguistically diverse communities in New South Wales.
- Multicultural Affairs
- This department assists migrant and multicultural communities, and promotes cultural and linguistic diversity by sponsoring grants and awards programs; and provides information, such as fact sheets, calendars of events and other publications.
- Multicultural Services of Central Australia (MCSCA)
- MCSCA provides services, representation and leadership for the CALD community in Central Australia.
- MyNT: Multicultural Youth NT
- MyNT is a youth-led organisation, which builds the capacity of young Territorians to be active members of their community.
- Multicultural Council NT Inc. (Nican)
- The council was established as a non-government community-based organisation with a role of advocacy, information and representation.
- Melaleuca Refugee Centre Torture Trauma Survivors Service of the NT
- Melaleuca Refugee Centre provides an environment for resettlement and healing of refugee survivors of torture and trauma, their families and community through confidential, high-quality and holistic services.
- Ethnic Communities Council of Queensland (ECCQ)
- ECCQ is the peak body in Queensland for ethnic communities and cultural diversity, engaged in policy research and development, sector collaboration and community education and training around leadership and better health outcomes.
- Partners in Cultural Competence (PiCC)
- PICC helps organisations, professionals and individuals develop cultural competence through active diversity management strategies that include effective cross-cultural training and consulting.
- Access Community Services
- This service focuses on settlement and employment initiatives, and community development. Personal support programs address the needs of disadvantaged youth and community groups, including migrants, refugees, humanitarian entrants and visa holders.
- Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network Queensland (MYAN QLD)
- This organisation provides opportunities to work collaboratively to improve settlement outcomes for young people through community advocacy and sector development.
- The Queensland Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma (QPASTT).
- This service provides flexible and culturally sensitive services to promote the health and wellbeing of people who have been tortured or who have suffered refugee-related trauma prior to migrating to Australia. QPASTT run youth-focused programs.
- Multicultural Youth South Australia Inc. (MYSA)
- Multicultural Youth South Australia Inc. (MYSA) is a community-based, not-for-profit organisation that provides a diverse range of services and programs to support multicultural young people and young families living in South Australia.
- Multicultural SA
- Multicultural SA is the agency responsible for advising the government on all matters relating to multicultural and ethnic affairs in South Australia. Their website provides a list of programs for newly arrived children and young people across the state.
- Migrant Resource Centre (Northern Tasmania)
- This Migrant Resource Centre offers a Family Support Program for families from CALD backgrounds, and runs community education programs on parenting and relationship issues and cross-cultural awareness training for workers.
- Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network TAS (MYAN TAS)
- This informal network of services works to promote the needs and issues of young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds in Tasmania. MYAN TAS operates in partnership with the Migrant Resource Centre, Southern Tasmania Inc., Multicultural Tasmania and the Youth Network of Tasmania.
- Centre for Multicultural Youth (CMY)
- CMY supports young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds to build better lives in Australia. CMY works to support organisations and decision-makers, through publications, programs and consultation on strategies and policies.
- Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health (CEH)
- CEH provides specialist information, training and support on cultural diversity and wellbeing to health and community service professionals. Several resources on cultural competency for workplaces are available online.
- Ethnic Communities Council of Victoria (ECCV)
- ECCV is the peak body for ethnic and multicultural organisations in Victoria. EECV helps build the capacity of new and emerging communities and develop policy on a wide range of issues including undertaking original research.
- Migrant Resource Centres: Metropolitan Victoria
- These organisations provide settlement services in various locations across Melbourne to improve access to participation in community life.
- Metropolitan Migrant Resource Centre, WA (MMRC)
- MMRC provides needs-based support and advocacy for youth through sports, arts and youth development activities.
- Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network (MYAN WA)
- The MYAN WA aims to provide a forum for those who work with multicultural young people, to network, share information and address sector issues.