Ethics Committee and role
The AIFS Ethics Committee is a Human Research Ethics Committee registered with the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
- To ensure that the ethical standards outlined in the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Research Involving Humans, and elaborated in the Institute's ethics statement, Ethical Issues in the Research Process (1996), are met in all research projects undertaken by the Institute.
- To ensure that projects meet the three key principles of respect for persons, beneficence, and justice, as set down in the National Statement.
The committee meets to consider:
- new project proposals
- receive brief oral and written reports on ongoing projects
- consider any complaints or problems that may have arisen regarding ethical issues in Institute research
- review the complaints procedures
Members of the Ethics Committee are appointed for three-year terms.
View the AIFS Ethics Committee Terms of Reference.
- Dr Duncan Ironmonger AM (Chair)
BCom, MCom (Melb); PhD (Cambridge)
Department of Economics, University of Melbourne
- Ms Lorraine Parsons
BA (Latrobe); BSW (Latrobe); Grad.Cert. Management (Curtin)
Social Worker, health service and government management in allied health and Aboriginal health
Although born in Victoria, Lorraine identifies with her mother's Allyawarra country in Central Australia.
- Rev. John Lamont
BA (Latrobe); BTheol (United Faculty of Theology, Ormond College)
- Dr Richard Ingleby
MA, DPhil (Oxford); LLM (Cambridge)
Latham Chambers, Faculty of Business and Law, Deakin University
- Dr Kerreen Reiger
BA (Hons) (Melb.), PhD (La Trobe)
Honorary Associate, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce, La Trobe University
- Dr Sarah Wise
BA Hons (Melb); MA (Melb); PhD (Melb)
- Ms Victoria Triggs
BA (Melb.), Grad. Dip. Ed. Admin. (Melb.), Williamson Fellow (Leadership Victoria), Grad. Dip. Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Ms Carol Soloff
B.Sc. (Hons) ANU
- Mr Iain Walker
AIFS ex-officio member
Ms Kelly Hand
Deputy Director (Research)