Living together in Australia
Percentage of marriages preceded by cohabitation
The percentage of marriages preceded by cohabitation has increased dramatically in the last 30 years.
- in 1975, just 16% of marriages were preceded by cobabitation
- by 2013, 77% of marriages took place after the couple had lived together
Cohabitating couples as percentage of all couples
The proportion of all couples who are cohabiting has increased across the Census years:
Proportion of people aged 15+ years who were married or cohabiting
- the proportion of persons aged 15 years and over who were cohabiting has increased from 4% in 1986 to 10% in 2011
- persons who were married has fallen progressively from 58% in 1986 to 49% in 2011
- the proportion of persons aged 15 years and over who were living with a partner has declined from 62% in 1986 to 59% in 2011
|Year||Married %||Cohabiting||Total partnered %|
Proportion of partnered men and women who were in a cohabiting relationship
- cohabation is most prevalent among young people
- in 2011, the majority of partnered persons aged under 25 years were cohabiting while the reverse held for those who were partned in older age groups
- the rise in cohabitation between 1996 and 2011 is evident across almost all age groups.