Some important discoveries you helped us to make
You have helped us to make some big discoveries that will help to shape public policy and improve the lives of all Australian kids.
You helped us discover that …
- Kids who go to bed before 8:30 pm are likely to be healthier than kids who go to bed later. They also have happier mums! 1
- If you like your primary school you are much more likely to make a successful transition to high school. 2
- Spending more time doing household chores, homework and reading, and less time watching TV or playing video games, leads to fewer behavioural problems, such as hyperactivity.3
- Kids who have a TV in their bedroom will tend to take longer to acquire language (comprehend, produce and use words) than kids who don't. 4
What you told us last time
Here are a few of the things we found out from the older cohort in Wave 6 (when you were 14 or 15 years old).
Who decides …
... how late you can stay out at night?
- Very few 14-15 year olds decide how late they can stay out at night
- For 2 in 5 young people, their parents decide how late they can stay out
- For most of the other young people, they decide with their parents
... what you do with your money?
- 2 in 5 young people decide what they do with their money
- 1 in 3 decide for themselves, but consult their parents
- 1 in 10 decide with their parents how to spend their money
... which friends you can spend time with?
- Almost half the 14-15 year olds decide by themselves which friends they can hang out with
- 1 in 5 decide by themselves, but consult with their parents or decide with their parents
- For 6% of young people, their parents decide which friends they hang out with
Love and sex
What is your current sexual identity?
- Most 14-15 year olds identified as attracted to the opposite sex
- 4% of young people identified as gay/lesbian or bisexual
- 7% of young people were either not sure, or weren't yet attracted to either men or women
Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?
- At 14-15 years, only 15% of young people reported having a current girlfriend or boyfriend
How many boyfriends/girlfriends have you ever had?
- About half of the young people had ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend by age 14-15 years