The library collection
The online library catalogue provides access to the Institute's collection of international and Australian research on family wellbeing in Australia.
The collection features a large amount of 'grey literature' reports as well as books, journal articles, conference papers and book chapters.
The core collection covers a broad range of areas including: child abuse prevention; child development and psychology; family law, economics, demographics; family violence and sexual assault; and parenting.
Australian Family & Society Abstracts
Produced by staff at the Institute's Library since 1984, the Australian Family & Society Abstracts database:
- records the research, policy and practice literature about Australian families and the social issues that affect them
- draws upon a wide range of social science disciplines, including sociology, psychology, demography, health, education, economics, law, history and social work
- contains abstracts for journal articles, conference papers, books, book chapters, government reports, research reports, discussion and working papers, unpublished papers, statistical documents, theses and grey literature.
You can access the database in the following ways:
- subscribe online through Informit Online, an Australian web-based service of research and education databases operated by RMIT Publishing
- view as a subset of the AIFS library catalogue.
Many of the documents are available free online or by pay-per-view. Contact your local library to access subscription or print-only material.
Family Thesaurus provides a list of the subject terms developed for indexing and retrieving information in the Australian Family & Society Abstracts database. Terms included in the thesaurus reflect the database's multidisciplinary approach to factors affecting life in Australian society and are drawn directly from the literature being indexed.
The new edition of the thesaurus is currently being developed. Please contact us for more information.
Other libraries are welcome to contact us about inter-library loans and copies. We follow the Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code and prefer arrangement via the Libraries Australia Document Delivery (LADD) system. Note, the library is currently offering a reduced service and is unable to assist with urgent requests. Please contact us for more information.
Contacting the library
Phone the Institute on +61 3 9214 7888 and ask to be put through to the library.
Complete the Institute’s general contact form and mention your enquiry is for the library.