Family Wellbeing Study
This study is investigating the health and wellbeing of families of Australian Defence Force members, transitioned members and reservists.
The Family Wellbeing Study
The Family Wellbeing Study will survey family members nominated by ADF members, transitioned ADF members and reservists who participate in the Transition and Wellbeing Research Programme.
The family members survey has now closed.
Please contact us for further information about the study.
What do we hope to learn from the Family Wellbeing study?
The information provided from the survey will lead to a better understanding of:
- the wellbeing of families after transition from ADF to civilian life and how it compares to the wellbeing of families of current serving members
- some of the challenges experienced by families of transitioned ADF members and how these compare to families of current serving members.
- what military families do to get help during challenging times and what they actually find helpful
- the relationship between the wellbeing of families and ADF members, current and ex-serving.
Read Jack's story to learn about one man's experiences in the military and how these affected his family.
What will we do with the information from the study?
The information provided will be used to improve services for families and to design effective prevention and early intervention programs for families, both while their ADF family member is serving and after they leave the ADF to join civilian life.
Future military family studies
The Family Wellbeing study will only be surveying family members nominated by ADF members, current and ex-serving. Family members not eligible to participate in the Family Wellbeing study can register their interest for participation in future military family studies.
The Transition and Wellbeing Research Programme
The Transition and Wellbeing Research Programme is the largest and most comprehensive programme of study undertaken in Australia examining the impact of military service on the mental, physical and social health of serving and ex-serving ADF members and their families. The programme is made up of three major studies:
- The Mental Health and Wellbeing Transition Study
- Impact of Combat Study
- Family Wellbeing Study
Visit the Transition and Wellbeing Research Programme website for further information on the Transition and Wellbeing Research Programme.