Text description: Housing
- Fewer young adults own their home (outright or mortgaged) today compared to previous generations.
- Average weekly housing costs have grown over time, especially for families with dependent children.
- Owning a home outright has become less common over time, particularly among couples with children. Almost half of all single-parent families rented their home in 2018.
- Single-parent families experience the highest average housing costs as a percentage of their gross income relative to all household types.
- Compared to other types of families, more families with young children live in a standalone house.